This drill is an entry to our 2020 Bootcamp Ideas Workout Competition. It was sent in by Jessica Voyer.
Text Me A Workout
Drill length: 50 minutes
We could not workout together outside as a group, and we wanted a change from the inside, virtual classes!
So on Saturday mornings, I would lead a “texting workout” and we sweated it out “together and alone” outside our homes, in 3 different towns! We have done 8 of these workouts so far together, all of them with different elements! The example below is the first workout we did! It was very fun to see everyone answering the group text, sending selfies and cheering each other on over our cell phones!
We really felt like we were working out together!
How it works:
Download this song for your warm-up! “Not Alone” by Alan Walker (Pandora link). Set a timer for 20 second intervals, repeat 20 second intervals of Jumping Jacks, Squats, High Knees, Push-Ups until the song is up!
Some notes: You will be running today! And you may want gloves!
Depending on where you are, you can make finding the “landmarks” near or far, this is YOUR workout!
Ask your clients to take selfies and send to the group!
Some great ideas:
- Starting at your house, find a heavy item in your garage or shed that you can use as a weight!
- Download this song by Marshmello: (Pandora Link) “Alone” and use your weight to perform the following circuit until the song is up! 10 Squat, 10 Rows, 10 Push Press, 10 Romanian Deadlift, 10 Woodchoppers
- Now, throw your weight as far as you can down your driveway! Perform Traveling Burpees until you reach the weight. Repeat as many times as needed until you reach your mailbox at the end of your driveway! Send a SELFIE with your mailbox!
- Once you arrive at your mailbox, use your weight for 50 Squats. Put the weight down for later!
- Next, perform broad jumps across the width of your driveway and backpedal back. Do this 3 times!
- From here you have 50 Walking Lunges in any direction. When you’re done, sprint back to your starting place! Then 40 Walking Lunges. Sprint back to your starting spot. 30 Walking Lunges, sprint back. 20 Lunges, sprint back. Yep, 10 Lunges and sprint back!
- Now, we are going for a jog, looking for a grassy hill! It doesn’t have to be long, it can be short and steep! Find it in less than five minutes! SEND A SELFIE when you arrive at your hill!
- Once there, bearcrawl up your hill, 10 Push-ups at the top, and sprint down. Repeat with 8 reps at the top, then 6 reps, 4 reps and finally 2.
- Heading back home, you will stop at every telephone pole, or mailbox- whichever is greater! You have 5 Squat Jumps at each!
- Once back at your mailbox, pick up your weight! Holding it over your head, you are jogging up your driveway.
- When you reach your house, Download the song “Final Countdown” (Pandora link). Perform our circuit again until the song is finished! 1. 10 Squat 2. 10 Rows 3. 10 Push Press 4. 10 RDL 5. 10 Woodchopper
- Put your weight away, and jog around your house 3 times! When you are finished, send us a sweaty SELFIE!
About the entrant:
Jess runs a small strength and fitness business, jessvoyerfitness, in Essex, Vermont, USA. You will find her coaching in the pitch dark with a headlamp and a down jacket to stay warm on early mornings, or sounding the timer for clients through a circuit of ropes, sleds and kettlebells, in their warehouse space, when she is not in the weight room showing clients how to lift and move heavy things. When she is not coaching, she is running her trusty dog behind the wheel of her mountain bike, or paddle boarding the nearest body of water, after lifting her own heavy things in the weight room. Her two amazing kids keep her busy most of the day with their own adventures. Jess is certified as an NSCA-PT, TFW2 and PN1 coach, and is currently obtaining her MetFlex certification!
Guest submissions are workouts shared by awesome trainers from all around the world. You can read a bit more about this author under the workout above.. To become one of these awesome trainers why don’t you submit one of your own?