I got this idea from The Bootcamp Girls pumpkin workout. Halloween is a bit of a smaller deal here in Australia but I thought my clients would appreciate a bit of a fun workout anyway.
You will need one pumpkin between two campers. I told clients they could bring one if they wanted or already had one, if not I had a bunch of Med Balls they could use instead.
Goals: Crosstraining, Strength, Theme
Time: 45 minutes
Rock Paper Scissors Sprint. Except once a client makes it around a full circuit, they must perform 5 frog squats (or 5 push ups or 5 spider lunges etc.) before continuing.
Partner Pumpkin Rounds
Have clients buddy up with someone of a similar fitness level. One partner does a strength exercise for 45 seconds while the other runs out to a cone and back. Each client gets a turn on each exercise.
Set the running cone around 20 metres away. When clients get back from the run they rest until it is their turn to exercise again.
- MB Push Ups – Close grip for advanced clients, 1 hand on the ball for less advanced
- MB Squat to Press
- Crunch with MB OH Press
- Mountain Climbers with hands on MB
Both clients rest for 1 minute and then start over. Complete 3 rounds total.
OH = overhead.
Partner Pumpkin AMRAP
Taking it in turns, pairs complete as many rounds as possible of the following circuit as possible in 8 minutes (12 minutes for more of a challenge). One partner rests while the other completes the entire circuit,then they swap roles.
- 15 m Walking OH MB Lunge
- 20x Standing OH Presses
- 15 m Travelling Jump Squat with MB (swing MB/pumpkin as you jump)
Let’s take one pair of clients, John and Bruce.
- John starts of resting. Bruce does 15m walking lunge with pumpkin overhead, then 20 pumpkin presses and then 15m of travelling pumpkin jump squats. Bruce then gives the pumpkin to John.
- Bruce then has a rest while John runs through the circuit.
- Bruce and John keep alternating until the 8 minutes is over.
- Reduce reps/distance or increase round length if they are taking too long to swap.
If you are running a 60 minute bootcamp, add a second AMRAP round in. You can repeat the one above of use 3 new exercises like the one below.
- 15 m Travelling Sumo Walk with MB Overhead
- 15x Squat to OH MB throw and catch (like a squat to press, but let go of the MB at the top of the movement so it travels vertically into the air. Then catch it and return to a squat)
- 15 m Run holding MB
To celebrate Bootcamp Ideas 2 years of sharing workouts, I’m launching a book! It will be out later today, keep an eye out as you will get a chance to snap up a copy for cheap today only.
It’s called The Little Bootcamp Book Of Workouts. If you head there now you can grab a sneak preview, if you have already done that, keep an eye on your email inbox today.
Thank you all for supporting this site for this long and making it an awesome place for trainers to go and get some fantastic ideas.
Image: Jason OX4
Kyle Wood created Bootcamp Ideas in 2010 when he was hunting around on the internet for workout ideas. He ran a successful bootcamp in Victoria, Australia and spends his spare time managing this site, adventuring (or lazying) with his wife and find new ways to make bootcamps even better.