Quick note: The Trainers Tribe podcast is coming back! Dale and I are preparing to record some new episodes for you, in the mean time I wanted to share with you some of our best episodes over the next few weeks. If you’re new to the podcast, welcome I hope you find it super helpful. If you’ve listened before have a listen again! You might find some new nuggets in these recordings. Let’s kick it off with how to plan the perfect session.
‘There is no one perfect session. It’s about variety. Take a step back and look at things a month at a time.’
In this episode we dive into how we plan the sessions that we have used at our bootcamps. The same one’s that you see shared on here.
We aim to pull back the curtain on the decisions we make and the process we use to stay on top of planning.
You’ll find out all about:
- How Kyle and Dale plan their weeks differently
- Why Kyle looks at his workouts and mix of variation a month at a time
- Why Dale has chosen Monday to be Circuits, Wednesday to be Boxing, Thursday to be Games and Challenges and Saturday to be a combination workout with his bootcamps
- How Kyle scaled the difficulty of his sessions to reinforce technique while still giving great workouts
- Why Dale plans all of his workouts with 3 sections. Hint: It’s got to do with client retention.
- Why Kyle does longer warm ups than Dale and why Dale always includes a finisher/game at the end of his workouts
- How to plan sessions for different fitness levels and abilities so that everyone leaves having had a great workout
- What we do when we get odd numbers (especially in boxing workouts)
- What to do when it’s wet and you can’t do the workout you planned
We also get a bit side tracked in one part on a really important topic. That is your Game Face, or how you show up to each session. Dale shares with us how important this has been for him in turning his bootcamp into a thriving community.
Dale shares a great tip on how he uses his iPad as a giant timer so that he can stay hands free and spend more time coaching clients.
There is so much in this episode that you might want to listen to it two or three times with a pen and paper. Enjoy!
- Musical Workout Videos on Dale’s YouTube channel
- Fitness Levels PDF (pop your email in below to grab it)
- Boxing Drill – Circle of Mayhem (thanks Kaizen Outdoor Fitness for the idea)
- Portable lighting (affliate link)
Subscribe to The Trainers Tribe podcast
Kyle Wood created Bootcamp Ideas in 2010 when he was hunting around on the internet for workout ideas. He ran a successful bootcamp in Victoria, Australia and spends his spare time managing this site, adventuring (or lazying) with his wife and find new ways to make bootcamps even better.