This workout is from Desiree Hodnett of Camp Gladiator.
She was one of the first trainers who started sending me workouts to share on the site.
(In fact, this one was originally shared in January 2013!)
You may see some exercises you don’t recognise in this workout. That’s okay, the magic of this workout is in the three whiteboards and having a ‘control’ station. Which exercises you choose is not as important.
For example: Instead of two dumbbell boards you could have a bodyweight board and an exercise band board.
Okay, I’ll hand it over to Desiree.
Cardio Control Workout
How It Works
There will be three groups of mixed ability for this workout.
One group will be the cardio control group- the other teams will continue to work on their series of exercises until the cardio control group completes theirs.
Once the cardio control group finishes you will rotate groups.
Have three whiteboards with each groups exercises written on them; groups are circled around their board; when it is time to rotate just swap out each teams board.
Cardio Control Board:
The number of reps for each exercise is multiplied by total number of people in that group.
- 50 Hard Count Lateral Jax
- 20 Forward/Backward Burpees at mat– squat jump forward, do burpee, squat jump back, do burpee
- 50 Pushup Position Shoulder Taps
- 50 Sagittal Scissor Jumps- like a jump lunge but not as deep and with more speed, incorporate arms into scissor action
- 50 Mountain Spiders
- 100 Jump Rope
- 10 Ground Rotation Pushups- do GR and keep that knee tucked under AS you do the pushup (great for abs) then switch legs at the top
- 20 Plank Suicides
- 20 180° Squat Jumps
Dumbbell Board #1
Campers are working individually here so no multiplying reps by team number.
They are each doing specified reps for each exercise and repeating until cardio control is done.
10 reps each:
- Wide Squat with Arc Raise – palms facing out in between legs at bottom of squat; as you stand up you raise the DB’s to the side in an arc overhead forming a circle
- Pushup Pos alt Lateral Raise – if straight arm is too challenging have them go to knees or do a bent arm lat raise
- Side Lunge Rotation to overhead leg lift crunch – this one can be a little tricky at first but it’s a really good one. Hold one dumbbell in both hands, gripping the bell portion on each end. Do a side lunge to the left and rotate your torso and DB to the outside of left knee. As you step back to the start position you swing the Db to the right in a small arc, load the right leg, and lift the left leg straight up to the side as you do an oblique crunch with the weight overhead.
- Ski Jumps with Triceps Kickback – keep a squatted position, feet together and squat jump to the side and do a kickback, alt back and forth
Dumbbell Board #2
Same as board #1. 10 reps each:
- Pushup position alt row to frog press- do 2 rows from pushup position then jump feet in to a low squat, keep core tight, lift arms up and do a shoulder press. This is one rep.
- Squat Jax Flashers – sounds similar to a toyota squat jump
- Flying Jump Lunges- keep arms in lat raise position, like you are flying (bent arm for less advanced option) and do 10 jump lunges (emphasize power and not speed on these lunges)
- Wide Squat to Upright Row
- Alternating Bicep Curls (20 total)
I am always taking new workouts here at Bootcamp Ideas so if you feel like sharing, head to our submit a workout page.
Guest submissions are workouts shared by awesome trainers from all around the world. You can read a bit more about this author under the workout above.. To become one of these awesome trainers why don’t you submit one of your own?