The is a workout inspired by celebrity trainer Erin Oprea.
A little about Erin:
- Erin trains celebrities in the USA like Carrie Underwood and Kelsea Ballerini.
- She also runs the Citystrong events that are held in cities right across the USA.
- Erin is also author to the health and wellness book ‘The 4×4 Diet’ which shares her outlook on diet and exercise – 4 key points for keeping diet on track and 4 minute workouts to keep you fit.
- Late last year I was lucky enough to meet, run a bootcamp with and chat to Erin in Cabo, Mexico. What I was stoked to find out, which she writes about in her book, is that Erin LOVES Tabata workouts! She uses them in her PT sessions, in her bootcamp sessions and often completes her own workouts in this format as well!
I so stoked to hear this because Tabata is my favourite (and my campers’ favourite) style of workout too. Here are a few reasons why I believe Tabata is so awesome:
- SCIENCE: Tabata’s are scientifically proven to be super effective for improving cardiovascular health and fitness.
If you’re interested in reading more, here is a link for more info on that: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3772611/
- SPEED & MINDSET: What’s more is that Tabata’s are quick, effective and actually really awesome in terms of mindset. You can do ANYTHING for 20 seconds. Participants are able to really give the workouts everything they’ve got, knowing that they only have to maintain maximum effort for short bursts before they get another rest!
- VERSATILITY: Something else that’s awesome about them is that they are so versatile – No equipment? No worries! Small space? All good! Short on time? Not a problem! Tabatas can also be designed for cardio training, resistance training or a combination of both!
In my opinion, which just so happens to be the same as that of celeb trainer Erin Oprea (have you seen the legs she’s created for Carrie Underwood? Seriously!) – Tabata is the BEST type of workout!
So without further ado, here’s a Lower Body Tabata workout for you that incorporates some of Carrie Underwood’s favourite leg exercises!
Lower Body Tabata
Workout Time: 24 Minutes
Workout Format: TABATA x 4
Equipment Needed: One exercise mat per client
Each round consists of 8 mini rounds of 20 seconds work/10 seconds rest.
Alternate between the two exercises listed for each round.
Eg. for Round 1:
20 seconds lunge and tap left/10 seconds rest
20 seconds lunge and tap right/10 seconds rest
Repeat x 4
Round 1 – Carrie’s Lunge and Tap, left and right
Round 2 – Sumo Jumps/Squats
Round 3 – Curtsy Lunge and tap, left and right
Round 4 – Glute Bridges/Touch Down Lunges
Two Team Lunge Off
Teams take turns counting down aloud while completing their lunges:
10 lunges on right leg
9 lunges on right leg
8 lunges on right leg
Continue until just 1 lunge.
Then repeat on the left leg.
- Team 1, counting aloud and lunging with right leg while Team 2 rest – 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Then Team 2, counting aloud and lunging with right leg while Team 1 rest – 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Then Team 1, counting aloud and lunging with right leg while Team 2 rest – 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Then Team 2, counting aloud and lunging with right leg while Team 1 rest – 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Then Team 1, counting aloud and lunging with right leg while Team 2 rest – 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Continue all the way down to 1 lunge and then repeat the sequence on your left leg.
Please remember to precede this workout with a thorough warm up and follow this workout with a thorough cool down!
Jane started her women’s only bootcamp in 2017 with the goal of helping women fall in love with healthy and active living. Her passion for fitness and personal training is reignited every time a client achieves something they never thought possible or discovers a new life long love for moving their body!